In the early 1900's there were about a thousand people living in Bonawe. The hub of this community was the Bonawe Quarry which still operates to this day. In those days there were stone masons, drillers and miners extracting the stone and of course their families and support industries such as a local shop and laundry.
Tigh na Breac was built in 1907 and in those days consisted of a 'Managers House' (the smaller part of the 'l-shaped' layout, and six two roomed appartments three on the ground floor and three above them. Each room had a chimney and a small grate with tiny range cookers. Outside was what we now call the 'Bothy' which seems to have been their wash room and laundry.
Tigh na Breac was last lived in around the late 1960's when it was called 'Seaview'. We changed the name to Tigh na Breac which is Gaelic for 'House' - Tigh, and 'speckled' or 'trout' - Breac.